About a year ago, I bought a few cans of Minwax Polyshades with the intention of trying some dipping. I've been thinking about it more and more recently, so I primed a few models this morning and later this afternoon, spent about 30 minutes happily blocking in colors on a test model.
I cracked open a can of Minwax Pecan Satin and transferred it to a glass jar. It was a satisfying amber color. Selecting an old brush, I applied a conservative amount of the polyshade to my test miniature. Strangely, I didn't notice a change - the model just looked wet. I decided I hadn't used enough and really glopped it on. Now the model just looked really wet. Huh. The polyurethane, it does nothing.
That's when I noticed about a half inch of concentrated brown gloop in the bottom of the Minwax can. I had left the can sitting for a year and forgotten to sake it before opening.
Now I'll have to head over the Home Depot tomorrow afternoon, which will eat into Sunday Afternoon Painting Time (tm). Oh well, I was out of Simple Green anyway. Moral of the story: don't be like me! Shake shake shake!