Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Frogs on the Moon


Five and two, three plus four
six there are, and add one more;
father, will you come?
I'll be with you soon -
I'll see you when there are frogs on the moon.

– Frogs on the Moon, Chalcydonian children's rhyme

Monday, June 20, 2016

Our Lady of Perpetual Horror: Complete!


Curiously, planetary surveys dating to Pre-Heresy times list two small moons in orbit around the planet Chalcydon. It is not uncommon, however, for records from that time to be incomplete or otherwise faulty, as even a casual observer notes the presence of a third moon in the Chalcydonian sky. Peregrinus, the Ghost Moon, features heavily in local lore despite active suppression by the planetary administration, to the extent that the Chalcydonian Ecclesiarchy has grudgingly incorporated the moon into its rituals. It is customary to wait for the waxing of the Ghost Moon to begin new endeavors, and it is said that a priest who takes holy orders beneath the moon can discern the will of the Emperor Himself.

After many layers of foam, clay, spackle, and paint, the display board is ready!

This project really forced me to push some of my hobby limits and I'm extremely pleased with the way it compliments my work over the past two years. Teaser shots below:



Thursday, June 2, 2016

Our Lady of Perpetual Horror, In Progress

I've built up a fairly large collection of painted models over the last few years, and now it's time for a display board. Inspired by my Socratic daimon, I headed out to the craft store and returned with copious amounts of styrofoam, glue, and clay. Over the last few days, I've been laying down obscene amounts of liquid nails and styrofoam blocks to form the main landscape of the base, but in the meantime I also tackled the board's main feature:

a horror from the third moon of chalcydon!

Realizing that creepy faces have become sort of a motif in my Chaos Daemons army, when I saw the styrofoam head, I knew what I had to do. I've used air hardening clay for the sculpt. I started with the lips and worked my way outward, taking about three and a half hours for the whole process. Originally, I wanted to mimic the stone head from Prometheus, but as I worked, little bits of Red Skull and general ad-libbing entered the picture. This was my first attempt at any sort of real sculpting, and the time flew by. Now it's time for the agonizing wait as I continue to add glue and spackle to the board, but I'm looking forward to next week, when I'll be able to start adding the details and get it painted.

As with all of my projects, I only had a vague plan, but you can follow along with my sculpting below: